Mittel-Lipka (in Czech Prostredni Lipka) is a village in the Moravian region (presently in Czech Republic) which together with other villages close to the town of Grulich (in Czech Kraliky) was founded in the 16th century. The main building of the village is the church from 1688. The tower was built later in 1878. There is a lime cross under the church built in 1794. Next to the cross there is a modest monument commemorating soldiers from this village who died during the World War I. Behind the church there is a small graveyard. There are a dozen of graves from after the World War II and a few derelict ones from before 1945. Some old gravestones are dug out of the mud and grass and they are leaned against the wall surrounding the graveyard.
Erlitz – Orlice
Grafenort – Gorzanów
Groß Ullersdorf – Velky Losin
Grumberg – Podlesi
Habelschwerdt – Bystrzyca Kłodzka
Hannsdorf – Hanusovice
Mahrisch Rothwasser – Cervena Voda
Mittellipka – Prostredni Lipka
Mohrau – Morava
Niederlipka – Dolni Lipka
Oberlipka – Horni Lipka
Wichstadtl – Mladkov
Grulich (Kraliky in Czech) – a city located 4 km away from the Polish-Czech car border crossing in Boboszów. The city presently has about 5000 inhabitants. The oldest trustworthy record about this place dates back to 1367. The proper town came to being as late as in the 16th century and the first record about it dates back to 1568. In 1577 the town and ten neighbouring villages were bought by Zdeněk of Valdštejn. Zdeněk z Valdštejna chose the town of Králíky as the residence of his new manor and began to develop it. Except the manor house, vicarage and protestant oratory (today’s church of St. Michael Archangel), he had the square built into today’s shape and to his request emperor Rudolf II granted the town a privilege to hold three annual fairs. In the surroundings iron ore was probably mined and perhaps silver, too, and at that time the town was supposed to get two crossed mining hammers with a sword into its heraldry.
Near the curative springs over the town bishop Tobias Jan Becker, a native of Grulich, had in the years of 1696-1710 a monumental pilgrimage complex built. A lot of visitors came to this pilgrimage place and poor inhabitants of the Grulich region made living on these pilgrimages. Production and sale of souvenirs boomed. Woodcarving began to develop, and Christmas cribs and wooden characters that can be seen up to today all over the world are reminders of this. The Christmas cribs were even sold in America as “the genuine Wiener cribs”. Also other crafts were not left behind, especially organ building and weaving. Many cathedrals and churches all over the Czech Republic can be proud of their organs from organ masters of Grulich. One of the most considerable organ can be found in the Prague’s Loreta, many others will only wait for their recognition.
The photograph is a postcard from the 19th century which shows the city square and pilgrimage complex.